Catherine Shaw – Reflexology Treatments
Reflexology is based on the principle that reflex points on the soles, tops and sides of the feet correspond to areas throughout the body. The Chinese are said to have used reflexology for over 5000 years. There are tomb pictures depicting foot massage indicating that the Egyptians have also used reflexology for many centuries.
The feet are divided into zones, typically in our culture there are ten zones, five on each foot. Zones correspond to areas within the body stretching from the top of the head down to the feet and down the arms to the tips of the fingers. Modern reflexology was developed in the 1930s and is now widely valued by many people as a complimentary therapy.
Treatments last for half an hour and the cost at the Rosemary Douglas Mind, Body, Spirit fare is £20. As I work on your feet, you are not required to remove any clothing other than your shoes and socks.
Reflexology is often used alongside conventional care in hospitals and other healthcare settings. Benefits of reflexology therapy include:
- Relief of stress, anxiety and tension
- Deep relaxation
- Improved mood
- Improved sleep
All treatments will begin with a consultation to ensure that reflexology is right for you. In some instances it may be necessary to obtain your doctor’s permission before receiving a treatment, for example, if you have diabetes.
Contraindications include all of the following:
- Any contagious skin disease i.e. impetigo, scabies, chicken pox, mumps etc.
- Severe psoriasis or eczema on foot as the foot will be too sore to work
- Any untreated severe medical condition, or acute pain.
- Anyone under influence of alcohol or recreational drugs
- Internal bleeding
- Severe varicose veins i.e. phlebitis because Reflexology may increase pressure of blood to veins
- Any form of infection, disease or fever can make clients feel worse and spread infection to the therapist
- Diarrhoea and vomiting
- Bruising on feet
- Cuts, grazes, open skin, rashes, bites, burns, fractures
- First few days of menstruation as Reflexology may make period heavier
- Immediately after a heavy meal – please leave 2 hours before receiving Reflexology
- Athletes foot or verrucae
- Localised swelling/inflammation
- Scar tissue (2 years for major operation, and 6 months small scar)
- Hormonal implants
- Recent fractures, A minimum 3 months is required following injury
- Cervical spondylitis
There are some contraindications that require Specialist or medical WRITTEN MEDICAL PERMISSION – GP/Consultant – before it is possible to offer Reflexology. I will not be able to offer treatments at the fare if you suffer from the following unless you have written permission.
- Medication for serious conditions as it is believed that Reflexology may alter the level of drug in body
- Cancer within 5 years of surgery, as rogue cells may spread through lymph system
- Recent operative patients/recent operations
- Severe swelling
- Cardiovascular conditions such as thrombosis, phlebitis, hypertension, hypotension, heart conditions.
- Any condition already being treated by a GP or other complimentary therapist.
- Nervous/Psychotic conditions
- Osteoporosis as it is believed that Reflexology may speed up decalcification
- Acute rheumatism
- Recent operations
- Medical oedema
- Pregnancy in the first trimester – 3 months
- Spastic conditions
- Kidney infections
- Trapped/pinched nerve (sciatica) inflamed nerve
- Any dysfunction of the nervous system, e.g. multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease